Here at Groundwork! we’re emphatic that supporting local business is the best thing we can do for our economy. We know it’s tempting to stay home in your PJs and use your Amazon Prime membership, but let’s face it: Jeff Bezos has an evil plan to take over the universe. And even if he isn’t evil, he’s not spending his earnings right here in our community.
All joking aside, one thing you miss when you do your holiday shopping online is the human contact. You know, that magical holiday cheer from the hustle and bustle of everyone out trying to find the perfect gift? It’s when surprise encounters and random acts of kindness occur. It’s when that shopkeeper helps you find the perfect sweater for your wife, or a pair of slippers for grandpa. It’s the charm of the holiday season.
To help you get out there and shop small, we asked Groundwork! members to share their picks for local gifts. They responded, and what follows is your (drumroll please)
New Bedford gift guide for the 2017 holiday season
For the active folks in your life:
- Help them realign and get grounded with a 5 or 10 class card at Yoga on Union.
- Make ’em sweat with a gift card to Track and Channel for rowing and running classes.
- Help them meet their fitness goals with a gift card for small group fitness classes at Boutique Fitness.
- Treat them to a weekend of adult summer camp at Camp TimeOut.
For the foodies you love:
- Treat them to a fancy cocktail with a gift certificate at Cultivator Shoals.
- Get them a bottle or two of wine from New Bedford’s urban winery Travessia.
- You can’t go wrong with the hot sauce and t-shirt gift pack at No Problemo.
For those who prefer experiences over possessions:
- Treat them to a show at the Zeiterion Theater.
- Channel The Dude with a gift certificate to Wonder Bowl.
- Lock them in a room– for fun! Give a gift certificate to the problem-solving experience Mass Escape.
For the fashionist@s:
- Shara Porter’s custom printed wallets, handbags, and other accessories are great for both men and women.
- Find them something cute and original at Calico, New Bedford’s stylish clothing boutique
- Cozy them up with some winter wears from two local aplaca farms: KaveRock and Moonlight Rose.
- You can’t go wrong with a classic “NBMA” hoodie or t-shirt at Solstice skate shop.
For the person who has it all:
- You can’t beat Hippo for unique, handmade gifts like coffee milk candles, Linguica and Coffee Milk mugs, New Bedford t-shirts, jewelry, and a whole lot more. Hippo is owned by Groundwork! member Shelley Cardoos, and their selection of quirky cards can’t be beat.
- Groundwork! member Sandi Montour just published a lovely book of over 200 conversation starters. It’s the perfect gift for a host or a stocking stuffer for the person who loves to entertain. You can purchase “This or That” online, Sandi will be at local events around town throughout the season.
- For the hipster in your life, head to Purchase St. Records for that obscure vinyl to complete their collection.
- The Small Works Holiday Show at the Groundwork gallery has over 160 artworks for $200 or less. All artwork is cash and carry!
For the stressed-out loved one who needs some serious self-care:
- Treat them to a gift certificate at New Bedford’s own Indigo Spa Co, offering treatments from massages to facials and more in a relaxing environment.
- Indulge them in herbal beauty products from local companies Birchstone Apothecary and Avraveda.
- Set them up with local healer Sandra Sadhana for massage therapy, Thai yoga massage and private yoga instruction.
- While Farmacy Herbs is not quite New Bedford (it is located in neighboring Providence), any tea lover on your list will love their huge selection of herbs.
For your favorite altruist:
For the entrepreneur in your life:
- We’d be remiss without mentioning some great Groundwork! gifts for all the ‘preneurs out there. We’ve got gift certificates and stainless steel water bottles for your favorite hustlers and friends who work from home.
‘Tis the season to shop local.
That was easy, right? If you’ve got someone on your list we didn’t cover, send us a message and we’ll poll our members come up with the perfect local gift.
So get out there and support your local businesses! BONUS: The AHA! Holiday Shop and Stroll happens December 1-2 in downtown NB and is a festive, fun event for the family. AND, our fine city is offering free downtown parking Thanksgiving through New Year’s.
Happy holidays from Groundwork!