Here at Groundwork we’re emphatic that supporting local business is the best thing we can do for our economy. Hence our commitment to producing an annual New Bedford Holiday Gift Guide.
We know it’s tempting to stay home in your PJs and use your Amazon Prime membership, but let’s face it: Jeff Bezos has an evil plan to take over the universe. And even if he isn’t evil, he’s not spending his earnings right here in our community.
All joking aside, our local businesses have been working their butts off to stay open during this unprecedented year, and without our holiday stroll and other seasonal events, they need your support.
So to assist you in shopping small and local this year, we’ve compiled some of our favorite picks for your holiday shopping:
New Bedford gift guide for the 2020 holiday season
For the active folks in your life:
- Help them realign and get grounded. School of Yoga New Bedford offers a video library of classes and online yoga workshops.
- Make ’em sweat with a gift card to The Barre New Bedford for some serious sculpting and stretching.
- Help them meet their fitness goals with a gift card to Boutique Fitness.
For the foodies you love:
- You can’t go wrong with the hot sauce or a gift card to No Problemo.
- Treat them to artisan croissants and coffee at The Baker, New Bedford’s favorite place to indulge.
- Moby Dick Brewery offers growlers and howlers for the beer lover in your life, and their entire menu is available for curbside pickup.
- Give the gift of cozy nourishment with hearty, homemade soups and sandwiches from Destination Soups.
- Tia Maria’s offers all your Portuguese favorites with an emphasis on organic and local ingredients. They offer online ordering and curbside pickup.
- For the coffee lovers, treat them to a bag of gourmet Tandem coffee beans at Scuttlebutt, or a few trip to New Bedford’s classic The Green Bean.
- For the health-conscious, you can’t go wrong with a gift certificate to People’s Pressed for delicious cold-pressed juice, smoothie bowls, and more.
- DoCo, New Bedford’s newest hotspot at the historic Kilburn Mills, offers an ambitious menu of creative, locally inspired, and healthy bites.
For those who prefer experiences over possessions:
- While the stage may be temporarily quiet at the Zeiterion Theater, you can gift your favorite arts patron a membership to support the theater’s important work in our community.
- Lock them in a room– for fun! Give a gift certificate to the problem-solving experience Mass Escape– they are currently open with COVID-safe escape rooms for private parties!
- For those on your list who have young kids at home, a membership to the Buttonwood Park Zoo is a slam dunk.
- Celebrate New Bedford’s rich history with a gift certificate to the Whaling Museum. Their gift shop is stocked with a discerning collection of books and whimsical items.
For the fashionist@s:
- Shara Porter’s custom printed wallets, handbags, and other accessories are great for both men and women. You can order online or visit her shop in Padanaram Village.
- Find them something cute and original at Calico, New Bedford’s stylish clothing boutique. Check out their customized Style Box for an extra special gift!
- Score a one-of-a-kind piece at The MadLila, downtown’s eclectic vintage clothing boutique.
- You can’t go wrong with a classic “NBMA” hoodie or t-shirt at Solstice skate shop.
For the person who has it all:
- For the hipster in your life, head to Purchase St. Records for that obscure vinyl to complete their collection.
- Give the stunning artwork of local artist Alison Wells, who also features other local artists at her downtown gallery and showroom.
For the stressed-out loved one who needs some serious self-care:
- Treat them to a gift certificate at New Bedford’s own Indigo Spa Co, offering treatments from massages to facials and more in a relaxing environment. Be sure to check out their newest offering: adult naps!
- You can find clean and ethical beauty supplies from makeup to bath items at Shimmer. They will also create a custom gift basket to take the guesswork out of your shopping.
- Town Farm Tonics offers locally-crafted fire cider, elderberry syrup, herbal teas and more. Check out their immunity essentials kit!
For the WFH worker who is burned out:
- Give the gift of focus, sanity, and work-life balance. A gift certificate to Groundwork is just what the doctor ordered to break up the winter blahs of working at home. This year, buy a gift certificate for a friend and get one for yourself for FREE.
‘Tis the season to shop local.
That was easy, right? We hope you found some great ideas in this year’s New Bedford holiday gift guide. Challenge yourself to shop 100% local this year and give back to the hardworking folks who make New Bedford so vibrant. We promise you’ll be glad you did.
- Life is still beautiful: What Groundwork members are grateful for - November 19, 2020
- New Bedford’s Definitive #shoplocal Holiday Gift Guide - November 19, 2020
- How to run virtual meetings that don’t suck: 5 simple tips - November 6, 2020